Hillary Clinton is now a retired woman. She has officially stepped down from her post as Secretary of State. She’s no longer a U.S. Senator or First Lady. She’s not waging a presidential campaign — yet. And those pesky Benghazi hearings are over!
What are we political women going to do without Hillary in our lives? She has been a presence on the national stage for over 20 years. Now she’s a lady of leisure. Apart from her myriad “exit” interviews, like with 60 Minutes, what is Hillary going to do with her time?
Regardless of your political persuasion, I think we can all agree this is one woman who deserves a nice nap, a glass of Chardonnay and a nice spa visit. As I keep my fingers crossed about what is next for her on the political stage, I’ve been thinking about my favorite moments from her stint as Secretary of State (aside from the tongue-lasing she gave some people on Capitol Hill at the Benghazi hearings!
1. One of the best is reflected in the image at the top of this post, from her meetings with Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Su Kyi. For me, this is the photo that is the face of what women’s leadership increasingly looks like — one that is infused with common ideas, compassion, and, yes, friendship.
2. She understands the importance of connecting with powerful women in many arenas, including entertainment. One of those is Meryl Streep. I’m not assuming from this image taken at Kennedy Center Honors event in December that Hillary and Meryl are BFF’s, but they could be now that Hillary’s globetrotting is done for the moment.
3. She loved Texts from Hillary.
4. She traveled almost one million miles around the world to make it a better place for women and girls.
5. She’s confident enough in herself to talk about being a mom. Not all the time, but when she’s asked about Chelsea, she beams. And there’s nothing wrong with that — no matter what some feminists who are younger than me think about how being a mother informs our world view.
6. And she doesn’t let a little old concussion keep her down. I have new-found empathy for concussions after suffering a small one myself over the holidays (and, no, I did not hit my head just to be like her!). Regardless of what those Fox News conspiracy theorists said about her, a concussion is no laughing matter, but it didn’t keep her out of action for long.
What’s your favorite Hillary Clinton moment? Actually, now that I think about, my favorite Hillary moment will be the day she announces her 2016 presidential bid!